Friday, March 4, 2011

In Your Life and Around the World

I have not yet had the opportunity to experience a birth, other than my own. I had the chance to talk with a couple friends about their experiences and talked to my mom about when I was born. Everyone I talked to, including my mother stressed the importance of the epidural! They all said they had great experiences. Both my mother and my close friend Tracy told me by month 7 they were ready for the baby to be out but once the time came, they both felt unprepared. My friend Tracy told me about her experience of having the placenta removed and how it was the worst part. To be honest I did not know before that conversation that the placenta even came out but it does not sound like a pleasant experience.  This is a very new subject for me and I do not have any experience with it but I do believe that right after the birth is the best time for the mother to start bonding with her child. I have heard that epidurals can have negative side effects to the baby, latching on during breastfeeding might be difficult, this could play a role on the child’s development.  Overall the birth is the parents beginning to raising their child and the choices they make will have an effect on the child’s development.


I chose to look at the Philippines and their birthing experience. I work with a couple of Pilipino women who shared their stories with me. After doing research and talking with some ladies from work the birthing experience in the Philippines is very similar to what women experience in the United Stated. They both go to regular doctor’s appointments during their pregnancies and have the same options when giving birth at hospitals. However, in some rural parts of the country and for some citizen who do not have enough money, they choose to have a midwife come to their houses, but this is only done if it is a normal pregnancy without any complications.  I was told that a pregnancy in the Philippines is not just an experience for the couple but that the whole family is involved. Having the whole family involved with the child will provide them with great support during their development. 

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting to me that in some cultures their is a signifcant difference between the birthing process depending on whether they are in a city or rural. The options for people can vary greatly and therefore, sometimes leave them without options!
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that your friend mentioned the placenta being removed. I heard this being referrred to as the afterbirth before - but no one really mentioned that it was the worst part.

    I researched Denmark and just like in the Phillipines, mothers may choose to have their child at home as long as it is a normal pregnancy. I thought it was interesting to learn from your post that the Phillipines regard the birth experience as a whole family event. I think that is wonderful - the support new parents get from family members! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete