Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Child Development and Public Health

I remember when I was young, probably around 10 years old, I found out that my mom’s friends baby died. I remember her telling me the baby died of SIDS. At the time I did not understand but as I have grown up I have become a lot more interested in SIDS and feel as though I should educate myself on the topic because I do work in a Child Development center with infants.

When looking at how SIDS affects people from all around the world I found some interesting information from New Zealand. New Zealand used to have the highest crib rate death in the world, but new information has come out to change that. In 1994 a new campaign for wrapping infants’ mattresses came out. Researchers said the fire-retardant mattresses had harmful chemicals for infants in them, so they started wrapping them. Since these findings came out the number of deaths has significantly went down. They have also changed to having babies sleep on their backs as well, along with other forms of prevention.

The information and my findings on SIDS I have learned this week have helped me grow as an educator. This is syndrome that affects children in one of the age groups I want to directly work with. In order for me to be a successful care provider I believe that knowledge on medical issues, like SIDS, are vital to my job.

Websites referenced: www.preventsids.org and www.healthychild.com

5 comments:

  1. Amy,

    I too, chose Sudden Infant Death to reflect on. The article I read did not talk about the finding of wrapping the matteress. This is awesome information. We as educators can pass this information on to our parents in informational blog's and to people in our families. Thanks for finding and sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this topic with us, great info about the mattresses, i never knew that before. When my kids were babies, I used to check on them continuously throughout the night and during nap, because I was afraid of the sudden Infant Death. Every parent should know about the importance of this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been interested in SIDS. I have an aunt who is a twin. Her twin died as an infant from SIDS so it's been around as long as I can remember. I was very afraid with my first few kids just wondering what really causes it. I felt better as I received more information about SIDS and what I can do to try to prevent it. This is critical information for caregivers to have. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has always been a interest of mine also. When completeing this assignment, I just did not know what to choose. Reading ur information on SIDS was informative. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete