Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Consequences of Stress on Children’s Development

Muscular dystrophy is a disorder that weakens muscles and creates the loss of muscle, as the person gets old the condition worsens.

When I was four years old my family found out that my cousin who was just one year older than me had this disease. No one in my family really knew what it was or what caused it. Well over the next two years I saw my cousin be put into a wheelchair and lose his ability to use his arms and legs. At the same time my cousins condition was worsening my aunt and uncle found out they were pregnant with another child. When my new cousin was born he was also born with muscular dystrophy. His condition was worse than my other cousins from the start because he was born with it. It took awhile for my family to get used to the new routine, having two family members in wheelchairs and all the extra help that they would need but both of my cousins have incredible personalities and outlooks on life. My family quickly turned to MDA, Muscular Dystrophy Association for information and support. I know my cousins and their parents attended summer camps to help them cope with the disease.

MD in Japan:

Japan, has an organization similar to MDA, the Japan Muscular Dystrophy Association Corporation.  JMDA’s goals are to “Accumulates information on muscular dystrophies available to educate and enlight the disease to patients, their families and public.” They also want to , “Helps patients to adapt to their daily life and to improve their quality of life.” Lastly they try and “Promotes research into muscular dystrophy.”

Japan Muscular Dystrophy Association. Retrieved from http://www.jmda.or.jp

5 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds like you have a wonderful family, with strong outlooks and great perseverance!! I was glad to hear that other countries have Muscular dystrophy associations; I guess I assumed that the MDA was the only one. It is good to know that families have resources close to them and don't always have to travel great distances to receive them.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information about MDA, its funny that I really did not know much about MDA. Reading about it, it was very informative. I research more about it, and know I am updated with MDA. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for sharing your story, I never heard of Muscular dystrophy disease before. It is very difficult for a family to have two children on wheel chairs. Is there a cure for this disease?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad your cousin had you and your family to help out when the going got tough. It is also nice toknow that other countries are work for the same goal. Next month my preschool will be Hopping for MDA and I would like to share your story with them if that is ok so they can put a real person to what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing that. I just found out a young girl I know has MS. That has to be very challenging for your family. How old are they now and how are they doing?

    ReplyDelete