Friday, January 20, 2012

Week 3:Communicating with different groups

I decided to look at my workplace. I do think that I communicate differently with people from different groups and cultures. I work with the military at a youth program, so my children’s parents are military members and the military culture can be very different from working at any other youth program. I find myself watching what I say and being very respectful when a chief or higher comes to pick up their children, I do not want to deliver bad news to them, even if heir child had a difficult day. With their title it atomically gains them respect. Now for enlisted military members I am more easy going and have an easier time working with them and being honest about how their children’s days were. Status is very big in the military. 

Three strategies I could use are:
To try and look beyond their status.
To see every parent as a just a parent.
To know that everyone cares about their child and wants to know what is going on with them, I will just need to choose my words wisely but overall its better for the child if I am honest with their parents.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you work in a very interesting work culture environment where status is incredibly and where you have to choose your words carefully on a daily basis. This must put additional pressure on you, especially in working with parents who have a high status. It is so interesting to learn about the work environment and experiences of others. Your three strategies that you shared are honest and valuable to many different work environments. Good luck in the great work you do with parents every day! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, the steps that you have listed demonstrated that you give each of children and their families respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    I think you strategies are great, I would agree that it would probably be heard to communicate with someone of the parents that you work with. I think your strategies will help you to feel more comfortable to speak out to them about their children. Something that I have always told myself when having to communicate a hard situation to parents is that they will respect you more for being honest, even if it is hard to say. Sometimes saying the hardest things make you are strong person and better communicator. Best of Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,

    Just like you communicate differently with higher status military officials, I communicate differently with school superiors (principals mainly). I think that the status makes me uncomfortable and I become more self conscious about my actions. I always feel there is a barrier between us. Like you, I need to overlook their status...but it is difficult!

    ReplyDelete