Friday, January 13, 2012

Week 2: Assumptions

I watched the pilot episode of The Exes. 
Watching the show with no volume: 
Characters relationships: It appears to be three men and one women. One of the men  was against going into the other mens apartment but the female talked him into it. It seems like all the men listen to the female but they all appear to be just friends, probably all exes based on the title of the show. All three men moved in with each other. They all have their own roles. One is a cook. One is a bit lazy and always on the computer. And the other one is a ladies man, he had a female spending the night. The female also has another female friend, they seem to be best friends. 
The feelings that are expressed are: The female seems to have to talk the men into doing things. She seems to be the voice of reason and they all listen to her. By looking at facial expressions I can tell that the men pick on each other, do things to annoy each other. They get upset but then work it out. 
Watching the show with the volume on:
Assumptions: I really thought I knew what was going on in the show. I could not hear it but I saw just how much facial and hand gestures helped to see what was going on. I guessed that the ladies man set up the new guy on a blind date and when I turned on the volume I was right. However, I did not know that the ladies man was going to kick the other man out of the house prior to getting him to go on a double date with him. Also I thought the female was the voice of reason and one of their friends however she is all of their divorce attorney.  
If this was a show that I always watched I would know the story line and the characters and would better be able to guess what was going on. 

2 comments:

  1. Amy,

    I too found it very difficult to watch a show with no volume, during my show I found myself really trying to figure out what they were doing and what the story line was. Life would be so much harder without verbal communication, our understanding of things would be so blurred and mistaken. Much easier to watch a show with both verbal and nonverbal communication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, this was an interesting exercise it made me realize how much we take for granted with being able to hear the message and to truly understand the message we need to read the other cues associated with them.

    ReplyDelete